In my practice, I meet the coolest, greatest, most wonderful people ever. Today, for example, I met a sales executive who started the conversation with "I think my resume sucks" and I chuckled because I've heard this expression several times before. I mentioned that her words would make a good title for a blog post, then we both laughed and went about our business. Thanks to her wit, I am writing this blog post. You will know your resume sucks if...
* a hiring manager can't tell what you want to do after perusing your resume.
* you yourself want to throw it in the garbage.
* it's loaded with buzzwords and blather.
* it sounds like someone else wrote it.
* it isn't a rock-solid representation of you and your brand.
* it's a boring recollection of your past.
* it looks like a template.
* it doesn't prove to the reader why you can do what you say you're interested in doing.
* it contains negative-sounding language, mistakes or irrelevant information.
* it gets absolutely zero responses.
posted by: billiesucher