During practice interview sessions with clients, one of the areas discussed is that of "illegal" and "inappropriate" interview questions. For all the laws on the books, there are still times when the person interviewing you may cross the line and ask a weird, strange, random or unexpected question of the illegal and/or inappropriate variety. Maybe the person asking you knows better and maybe they don't. In any event, cleaning file drawers last week, I came across the "Weird Interview Questions 2009" folder. While some of them are not suitable for posting, believe it or not...here are a few of the actual questions asked of clients in 2009. You decide....illegal...inappropriate?
1. You mentioned you volunteer to help children...does that mean you don't have any?
2. I see you're wearing a wedding band...so I take it you're married?
3. Are those your real fingernails or are they fake?
4. You're too pretty to hire...productivity would drop with you around.
5. Now when you say partner, what exactly do you mean?
6. You remind me of my grandpa...he's in his 60's.
7. J.D., huh? What does that stand for?
8. We noticed you're driving a Mercedes...convince us you need this job.
9. Has it ever occurred to you to dumb yourself down a little?
10. Is that a real Coach bag, or a knock-off?
As a 21st-century job seeker, have you ever been asked an illegal or inappropriate question, such as the above? What, if anything, did you do about it? You can read and learn more about this particular topic here.