- "My resume and LinkedIn profile are attracting too low-level jobs."
- "My resume and LinkedIn profile are attracting the wrong type of jobs."
- "My resume doesn't communicate my true value."
- "I’m not sure what job titles I should apply to out there - my company uses titles no one else is using."
- "I’m not sure what my objective should be and what jobs I can get."
- "I got off track and now I feel stuck in a sideline with little advancement potential - and don’t know how to get back into what I want to be doing."
- "I’m not being paid what I think others are for what I do."
- "I’ve done everything there is to do here, and I feel as though my career is getting stalled – I need more challenge."
- "I want to be making more money, and I'm not sure how to go about getting a higher salary."
- "I'm more of a generalist, so how do I go about getting a job when all the job ads list very specific skills, some of which I don't have?"
- "I have a lot of skills and experience, but hardly ever all the requirements listed on job ads. I know I can do the job, but how do I convince them?"
- "I want to change industries, but employers want you to have had experience in their industry; how do I break into a new sector?"
- "I'm too senior for a lot of the jobs in my area but too junior for the ones I know I can do and want to target; what do I do?"
- "I have a reputation for being a [fill in here] professional, but what I really do a lot of is [fill in here] and I want to build my brand around that. What do I do to change the image people have of me?"
- Recruiters tell me I am "overqualified" so I don't even get a shot! What do I do?"
If you can relate to any of these issues (there is some overlap), you are not alone. There are ways to overcome hurdles like these with a skillfully written (and strictly honest) resume and LinkedIn profile and some career and interview coaching. Don't be hesitant to reach out for help to someone in the careers community.
Along the left-hand column of this Career Hub Blog you will find some of the top career leaders in the industry. Check out their websites and what they have written here and give them a call! Most will be happy to give you a free consultation about your career situation!
It can make the difference
between getting a great job and just settling. Good luck!
P.S. Feel free to add to the list of scenarios in comments below. I'd love to hear from you and others would too! JC